A FAMILY-OF-FOUR who booked a dream fortnight in Mauritius are demanding a full refund from Thomsons Holidays after their top-of-the-range £6,500 booking descend into a “holiday from hell”.
Instead of enjoying an all-inclusive ‘platinum’ experience during their first holiday in nine years, the family say they only discovered how massive Mauritian rats are – after the giant rodents repeatedly invaded their hotel room.
Jo Carroll and partner Steve Taylor, from Warwickshire, say their stay at Hotel Riu Creole in Le Morne (pictured at the top),
SW Mauritius in April this year was ruined by:
* Having to move hotel room three times because of the huge rats in the room.
* Two days worth of continuous pneumatic drilling as renovations were carried out.
* Food poisoning.
* A child slashing his foot on glass in the swimming pool.
* A faulty air-con pipe leaking through the room’s ceiling.
* An invasion of locals on an all-night ‘all-you-can-eat (and drink)’ deal!
* Two sick children with raging temperatures of 40C who a doctor suggested had picked up a fever from the hotel’s faulty air con system.
Jo, who made a complaint through consumer action site A Spokesman Said said after all she, Steve and her two children, William, seven, and baby Bob, six months, had suffered, they were disgusted when Thomson offered them just £440 in compensation.
“We were furious,” Jo said. “We had spent a fortune on this holiday and this hotel is advertised as ‘platinum’ and top of the range.
“Not only do we want the full cost of this ruined holiday back, but I want people to know the kind of place Thomson are sending people to.”
Jo says she understands that things can go wrong, and that Mauritius is a tropical island and there will be rats around.
“But constantly IN our hotel room! No! And these were huge!
“We started off in room 3015, where after three days we saw a large rat run across the room when I was in bed nursing my sick
son. Reception sent a man with a broom up and some spray, but he couldn’t find the rat.
“When it reappeared (I’m assuming here it was the same one, although I didn’t ask it to introduce itself while I was standing on the bed shrieking), I called reception again and this time they agreed to move us to another room.
“We managed two days in there before I saw another rat trying to get at a milk bottle in my son’s travel cot when I was up
nursing him with a fever at 4am in the morning.
“We found the rats were getting in through a large hole in our bedroom wall that had a piece of cardboard placed in front of it and the bedside cabinet holding it in place.
“We filled the obvious gaps with towels and socks to stop any more rats getting into the room until morning. Further investigation of other rooms on the ground floor revealed that all had similar ill-fitting, unsecured hatches.
“It was therefore hardly surprising that the rats appeared to be travelling unhindered from room to room, largely undetected by all but those unfortunate enough to be up all night nursing sick children and feeding babies.”
Joe says rats were able to enter the room through holes in the wall.